My Amazon Store

Want to buy the things you see on my blog?! Now you an on my Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/shop/ocfoodiegirl

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

New Restaurant Review: Benchmark in DTSA


Benchmark
Benchmark opened up about a month ago in downtown Santa Ana, in the location previously occupied by Dear Lacy. 

The unique thing about this new restaurants is that's is strictly outdoor dining. I was a tad bit worried the first time I ate here considering how warm it's been this month BUT I'm happy to report that both times eating dinner there at around 6:30 it was perfectly pleasant. This is most likely helped by the full trees and sail shades that cover the majority of the  patio.

It's actually a lovely space which is lit up nicely after dark with edison bulbs which  makes for the perfect summer evening dining. Not sure how they'll handle the colder months, or the little bit of rainy season we get in the OC but for now they seem to be doing quite well. 

I'm not really sure how they came up with the menu as it is a bit of an eclectic mix of a few ethnic dishes with more traditional dishes. It's also not a large menu but there is definitely something for everyone.  I've been a few times now and have tried the majority of the share dishes and quite a few of the entrees. I have to say I've been pretty impressed with everything so far. Here are some of my favorites: 






Braised Pork al Pastor 
The savory braised pork is served on crispy chips with just the right amount of Mexican crema and a slightly kicked-up salsa verde and garnished with thinly chopped cilantro and chiles. 















Artichoke Fondue
This cheesy creation is one of my hands-down favorites at Benchmark. The fondue is creamy and you can absolutely taste the artichoke.  It comes served w the most delicious homemade soft Bavarian pretzels that come to the table warm. They're the perfect accompaniment to the fondue. 







Cheese Board
Burrata, manchego, point reyes blue, house nuts, truffle honey and seasonal fruit compote - how can you go wrong with that combination? ;) 











Another one of my favorites was the Heirloom Tomato Salad with buratta, capers, herb oil and baguette. Fresh and flavorful is the best way to describe this dish! 













Ahi Tuna - This dish surprised me as poke is on just about every menu these days so my expectations were a little low. I was pleasantly surprised by the brightness and freshness this dish exuded. It was also a nice change in texture to bite into the firm edamame and the sriracha aioli. I also loved the unique rice crackers that come with this dish - really tasty and unlike anything I've had before with poke! 














The Gochujang Fried Chicken was also one of my top choices - the flavor was spot on and the chicken itself was cooked perfectly crispy.  I also appreciated that it was served in small pieces so it was easy to share. The cool and creamy napa cabbage & red onion slaw was also the perfect compliment to the spicy chicken! 














So one of my all time favorite desserts is a Butterscotch Pot de Creme and the one at Benchmark definitely hit the mark. The touch of cocoa nibs and sea salt on top really made the butterscotch flavor shine, 














I highly recommend you try this newcomer - you won't be disappointed! 

Benchmark is located at 601 E. Santa Ana Blvd in Santa Ana. 714/480-0228
**Helpful tip: Parking is available behind the restaurant and also at the huge lot one block over on Santa Ana Blvd. over by the Ebell Club that is owned by the restaurant.
More on the website: https://www.loc8nearme.com/california/santa-ana/benchmark/5261793/


Be sure to tell them OCFoodieGirl sent you! ;) 










No comments:

Post a Comment